This is a brief hit-and-run set from Tom Waits’s full-on, quasi-Beat, barroom, rumblin’, grumblin’, growlin’, backdoor prowlin’ peak. Recorded live on NYC’s WNEW back in December of 1976, it somehow sounds wintry, all clad in overcoats and flannel. And nearby certainly was a toppled bottle of scotch.
This bootleg best served with a foot of snow, a flickering streetlight at midnight, and a temperment buffeted by nostalgia and one too many. All my most moving Tom-related revelations have come to me in a train snaking under a full moon or on the wrong street at the wrong time. That’s magic.
- Emotional Weather Report
- Eggs and Sausage (In a Cadillac with Susan Michelson)
- San Diego Serenade [Cut short by technical error]
- Tom Traubert’s Blues (Four Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen)
- The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)
- New Coat of Paint
- I Can’t Wait to Get Off Work